We all know Joomla! is one of the world’s most popular open source content management system (CMS) running with millions of user base and active Joomla community. Even hundreds of thousands of small businesses, governments, non-profits and large organizations worldwide like Citibank, eBay, General Electric, Harvard University, Ikea, McDonald's and Sony found Joomla awesome.
To universalize and maximize it popularly of Joomla!, on January 20, 2015 Joomla! announced the launch of its new service Joomla.com. In Joomla.com users can create and build their own website freely hosted Joomla website for an unlimited time, that's hosted by SiteGround.
Though the service comes with limited features, but enough for those who are currently choosing free hosted options with other website building solution. Experts are assuming this service will add an acceleration in Joomla popularity as userbase as well. Because before this service, there was no such way for new user to experience Joomla CMS.
The President of Open Source Matters Inc. Sarah Watz says: “I’m very excited because the new service at joomla.com makes Joomla! CMS a more accessible option than ever.”
You migh be curious about what features do Joomla.com includes. Here are the list:
- Hosting of the website is FREE.
- pre-installed Joomla itself
- Free site name at the joomla.com subdomain (ex: mywebsite.joomla.com).
- Comes pre-installed with 5 additional extensions ( Google analytics, Google maps integration, Disqus powered comments and social media sharing options )
- 2 templates installed
- Automatic updates
- No Advertising
- Joomla backend could be translated in 50+ language
- Easy to upgrade to a fully hosted service with your own selected domain name
- Unlimited Core Joomla CMS functionality
In ThemeXpert, we are hopeful with Joomla.com. Before being a dedicated user of a CMS, every new user wants to have the real experience of that. Now Joomla! Includes that privilege. What do you think about it?